Industrial Diesels

3 Pitstone 8 September 1982

A scene which is now part of history. On 8 September 1982 Tunnel Cement Sentinel 0-4-0 No.3 shunts cement tanks in the exchange sidings next to the West Coast Mainline at the Pitstone Cement Works, near Tring. This large cement works which dominated the area since the 1930s finally closed in 1991, and all trace of it has now been obliterated, with a large industrial complex built on the site. The tracks seen here have also been lifted and the only point of reference today is the WCML visible in the background.

273 & 265 Knightcote 28 March 1992

Army locos 273 Edge Hill & 265 have a very unusual load to haul as they traverse the MoD line from Fenny Compton to Kineton on 28 March 1992. They are passing Knightcote with the Branch Line Society 'Kineton Pullman' railtour. The tour had started from Manchester Piccadilly behind 47597, with 58013 added later for working top'n'tail up various branches. Ironically I had visited this location a month previously and had taken a picture of a more normal sort of train you would expect to see at this location.

273 & 265 Kineton 28 March 1992

In miserable light, Army locos 273 Edge Hill & 265 head back towards Fenny Compton with the Branch Line Society 'Kineton Pullman' railtour on 28 March 1992, after doing a tour of Kineton Army Depot (in the background). The tour had arrived at Fenny Compton behind 47597 & 58013 working top'n'tail.

273 & 274 Northend 13 March 1994

Army locos 273 Edge Hill & 274 Waggoner (built by Thomas Hill in 1987) head towards Kineton on the MoD branch from Fenny Compton exchange sidings with the Hertfordshire Railtours 1Z16 09:35 Paddington to Kineton 'Edgehill' railtour on 13 March 1994. They are pictured approximately half way along the branch, near Northend. The tour had traveled from Paddington behind 47811, and would soon be moving around the Army depot via a complicated set of reversals, which involved another Army loco (278 Coppice) on the rear.

277 Knightcote 24 February 1992

Army loco 277 trundles along the Army's Fenny Compton to Kineton line near Knightcote on 24 February 1992 with three immaculate VGA wagons of military stores. The wagons had been tripped up to Fenny Compton on the 6M19 07:45 Didcot to Fenny Compton, behind 47309.

278 Kineton 12 March 1995

Army loco 278 Coppice (built by Thomas Hill in 1988) heads towards MoD Kineton on 12 March 1995 after taking ex-works Mk1 coach 21274 for a run along the MoD Kineton to Fenny Compton line. It is pictured on its way back from Fenny Compton and has just crossed over the M40 motorway (note the lorry just behind the coach). The rebuilding required when the motorway was built a few years previously has given this stretch of track a very modern appearance for a freight line with deep ballast and continuously welded rails.

421 Ashchurch 17 April 1991

Ruston Army locomotive 421 performs a bit of shunting at Ashchurch on a very gloomy 17 April 1991, in readiness to attach wagons to the 6B53 Worcester to Gloucester Speedlink trip working. This location is vastly different nowadays, with the reinstated Ashchurch station now occupying the area directly above the locomotive.

D1171 Long Marston 22 January 2008

Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0 D1171 is pictured in a dilapidated state at Long Marston on 22 January 2008. This 1959 built shunter was formerly owned by the Port of Bristol Authority, and then was latterly employed by Western Fuels Ltd, who used it on the Whapping Wharf line in Bristol. At some point it acquired the name Western Pride, although judging by the state of it here, nobody has much pride in it anymore.

D1230 Llynclys 4 June 2012

English Electric 0-6-0DH D1230 Kimberley stands in the sunshine at Llynclys at the Cambrian Heritage Railway on 4 June 2012. Built at the Vulcan Works in 1969, this locomotive had previously seen use with the National Coal Bard, and latterly Tibbett & Britten. Behind it can be seen Class 08 D3019.

01552 Long Marston 29 October 2009

1966 built Thomas Hill 0-6-0 diesel hydraulic 01552 (originally numbered 167V and built for ICI Billingham) moves slowly forward in the Motorail Logistics depot at Long Marston on 29 October 2009. It is moving the Mk 3 HST Network Rail New Measurement Train coach and barrier vehicles that had just been brought in by 31454 as the 1Z06 09:00 Derby RTC to Long Marston. Note the amount of stock stored in the yard, with various Class 20s, 31s, & 37s visible in the background. The severe speed restriction is a wise move given the very poor state of some of the track.

01552 Long Marston 20 September 2013

At Long Marston on 20 September 2013, Thomas Hill 0-6-0 diesel hydraulic 01552 prepares to add a single wagon to the four that 56312 Jeremiah Dixon Son Of County Durham Surveyor Of The Mason-Dixon Line USA has just brought in from Washwood Heath. The newly painted 56 had arrived a few minutes earlier with the 6Z56 08:50 Washwood Heath to Long Marston, and would depart after a stay of just over half an hour, with the 6Z56 12:50 (10:58 in reality) Long Marston to Totton Yard.

11230 Hailes 10 July 2009

Former Willington Power Station 1956 built Drewry Class 04 look-alike 2574 has been repainted into 1950s BR black and given the fictitious number 11230. In this guise it seen here plodding along between Hailes and Winchcombe at little more than 10mph with the 11:40 Toddington to Winchcombe service on 10 July 2009, during the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway's 'Shunterfest' Diesel Gala.

4208 Rolvenden 27 May 1991

Hunslet Engine Co. 4208 is pictured at Rolvenden, on the Kent & East Sussex Railway on 27 May 1991. Despite appearances, this is not an 0-4-0 loco with a very wide wheelbase, but an 0-6-0 with a missing centre pair of wheels! Note the connecting rod lying next to the engine room doors. Built in 1948, its last working location was the Pitstone Cement Works. This side view clearly shows both the current number (42) and the previous and rather crudely painted out number (28). If you think the loco looks in a bad way here, it got considerably worse, and was eventually sent for scrap in 2001.

21442 Blunsdon 9 May 1981

In the very early days of the Swindon & Cricklade Railway, 1936 built John Fowler 0-4-0 No.21442 shunts an engineers train at Blunsdon on 9 May 1981. The loco is still in its unrestored condition, in the original livery of W.D & H.O Wills, in whose Swindon factory it had worked for fifty years. It has since been restored and appropriately in view of its links with the tobacco industry been named Woodbine. Note also the very basic nature of the Blunsdon site at this time, with the general impression in this view from the roadbridge being of a single track line running through a field!

97088 Murton 29 June 2008

1962 built Ruston Hornsby 0-4-0 97088 (works number 466630) in slightly optimistic Loadhaul livery is seen at work on the Derwent Valley Railway on 29 June 2008. The line is only a few hundreds yard long, and a round trip only takes a few minutes! 97088 is pictured approaching the public footpath crossing between the A64 road bridge (seen in the background) and the station at Murton. There are no round facilities, and Andrew Barclay steam loco No. 8 can just be seen on the rear of the train.

304469 Wansford 6 October 1990

Ruston & Hornsby 0-4-0 304469 stands in front of the Nene Valley Railway's shed at Wansford on 6 October 1990 in the company of Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T 1800 Thomas and BR 5MT 4-6-0 73050. The Ruston was built in 1951 and was moved to the Nene Valley Railway for preservation from the nearby British Sugar Corporation works at Peterborough.

458957 Bridge of Dun 21 April 2003

1961 built Ruston & Hornsby 0-4-0 458957 Dewar Highlander stands in the drizzle at Bridge of Dun on the Caledonian Railway on 21 April 2003. The Caledonian Railway gets slightly overlooked, as it is situated a little off the main tourist routes. It runs from Brechin to Bridge of Dunn, in the gently rolling hills between Forfar and Montrose.

459515 Thame Junction 17 October 1999

1961 built Ruston 0-6-0 459515 Iris approaches Thame Junction on the Chinnor & Princes Risborough Railway with the 09:30 freight (all brake van and no freight!) from Chinnor on 17 October 1999. This was running as part of the line's Diesel Gala. The train is just approaching a crew operated level crossing over Horsenden Lane, at which point the line starts to curve to the right after traveling roughly in a straight line all the way from Chinnor.

4210130 Gretton 14 April 1990

Fowler 0-4-0 4210130 is pictured here on engineering duties at Gretton on the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway on 14 April 1990. Gretton had just become the temporary terminus of the line, although no passengers facilities were provided. The 1957 built 4210130 was later repainted into green livery.

4240016 Toddington 10 October 1992

1964 built John Fowler 0-6-0 4240016 stands in the autumn sunshine in Toddington Yard on the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway on 10 October 1992. This loco which is referred to as number 19 by the GWR permanent way department is a little fickle with regard to liveries. Here we see it in its original green livery. Shortly after this picture was taken it was repainted into all over maroon. It has now reverted to green once more.

4240016 & 47105 Toddington 2 January 1995

John Fowler 0-6-0 4240016 catches the last rays of the setting sun, as it stands next to the Brush Type 4 Fund's 47105 in a snow covered Toddington Yard, on the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway on 2 January 1995. The striking red livery was applied after the loco arrived on the railway, its former colour scheme being two different shades of green.